Prevent Falls Amongst Seniors CHECKMATE SOS
Did you know that falls for those 65 years of age and over are the leading cause of both fatal and nonfatal injuries? Every 10 minutes, an older adult is hospitalized for a fall-related injury. The possibilities of falling and of being seriously injured in a fall increase with age.
It is reported that 1 in 3 adults over the age of 65 are likely to fall each year resulting in moderate to severe injuries. In 2010 1.6 million seniors fell at least once in Canada. This cost hospitals over 2.4 billion and are only expected to increase to a surprising 8.6 million by the year 2026. Falls are the leading cause of injury-related hospitalization and ER visits among older adults.
It’s very concerning to know that 95% off all hip-fractures are caused by a fall, nevertheless that 50% of all falls causing hospitalization happen at home.
Studies show that a combination of interventions can significantly reduce falls among older adults. Experts recommend:
- Ensuring that you have non-slip surfaces in the house
- Reducing clutter! Get rid of loose wires and cords as well as any other obstacles
- Keeping front steps and walkway in good repair and free of snow, ice and leaves.
- Having a physical activity regimen with balance, strength training, and flexibility components.
- Consulting with a health professional about getting a fall risk assessment.
- Having medications reviewed periodically.
- Getting eyes checked annually.
- Having a Personal Emergency response system
Taking precautions can help prevent falls, however, what happens if a loved one experiences a fall, but no one is around to help? Medical emergencies can often leave someone unable to let someone know that they are in difficulty and in need of medical attention – especially if they feel ill quite suddenly or fall and cannot get to a phone. CHECKMATE SOS is a mobile alert pendant that gives people the ability to send an immediate distress signal anytime they have a medical emergency.
CHECKMATE SOS provides a direct connection to our Emergency Monitoring Centre at the simple touch of an activation button on a pendant.
Ideal for seniors wanting to maintain an independent lifestyle but need easy and immediate access to medical attention if there’s an emergency.
For more information on how CHECKMATE SOS, contact one of our Safety Experts: TF: 866-775-6620 . Info@proteleccheckmate.com