CheckMate Campus - Personal Safety App
CheckMate Campus was specifically designed to combat the personal risks that large, sprawling acres of land with numerous secluded, isolated spaces between buildings, parking lots and wooded areas can create. With the push of a button, this personal security app will enable faculty, staff and students to signal for help at any time, day or night.
The Campus App
Almost everyone has a smartphone these days and they are never out of reach. This is why CheckMate Campus comes in the form of an app. Simply press and release the Emergency button and a distress signal is sent to ProTELEC‘s Emergency Monitoring Centre, where trained operators are available 24/7/365 to immediately send help on the way.
Discreet and Effective
CheckMate Campus lets students, faculty and staff discreetly signal for help at any time with just the touch of a button. This may be called for in social situations where a person is becoming very uncomfortable or fear for their safety; or in cases where the person does not feel in control of a situation. Discreetly activating the Emergency button will signal for help that, if on campus, will result in the response of Campus Police.
Be prepared. Where safety is a concern, for example, when walking between buildings, back to your car at night or being nervous about suspicious activity nearby, simply pressing and holding the Emergency button prepares the app for an emergency. If something were to happen, releasing the Emergency button immediately generates a distress signal.
Safety Checks provide an added level of protection for when working or studying alone. You can set up CheckMate Campus to ring/vibrate your phone every 15, 30, 45, 60 or 90 minutes. If you do not acknowledge the signal at each Safety Check, a Missed Safety Check signal is generated. You will have 30 seconds to cancel the alarm before it is transmitted to ProTELEC’s Emergency Monitoring Centre. When activating Safety Checks, you first have to provide your location details so that if you do miss a safety check, campus police can find you quickly. The location note is transmitted with the alarm. The GPS coordinates are also transmitted with the alarm and are updated every minute until the alarm is cancelled.
Critical support behind the scene
Emergency Response – Being able to generate an alarm is only as good as the response to the alarm. CheckMate Campus goes well beyond being just a smartphone app that notifies family and friends. It connects directly to ProTELEC’s Emergency Response Centre, manned by a highly-trained team of dedicated professionals, which will respond to any CheckMate alarm 24/7/365. The Emergency Response Centre is approved and annually inspected by the Underwriters Laboratory of Canada, and is ‘5 Diamond’-certified, ensuring that strict industry standard operating procedures are followed. ProTELEC has been protecting life and property since 1968.
Our operators are specifically trained to respond to every emergency situation. Upon receipt of a distress alarm, our operators will:
- immediately call the individual to assess the emergency and confirm that it is not a false alarm. No answer is treated as an emergency.
- Dispatch on-campus security or off-campus security guards (if applicable) to the exact location of the incident through our GPS tracking system.
- Notifying the individual’s alert contacts from their contact list.
Locating the person in distress
It is critical to send help as quick as possible. It is equally critical to be able to locate the person in distress as well. Our Monitoring Centre is able to provide this information to the security response teams by:
- Identification – Providing an up-to-date picture of the individual, the height, weight and even the make of the person’s car and license plate number (where applicable).
- Geofencing – CheckMate Campus creates a “geofence” to isolate Campus boundaries. Campus security is dispatched to all alarms generated from GPS locations that originate inside the campus boundaries. Private security guards (optional) and alert contacts are dispatched to all other alarms generated off-campus.
- Indoor Location Positioning – In cases where the alarm is coming from a particular building on campus, our Monitoring Centre will be able to provide more information than just the building location. Through CheckMate’s Indoor Location Positioning, we will be able to direct campus security to the building, floor and in many cases the room that the distress signal is coming from.
Included with the CheckMate Campus app is a Mass Notification feature that allows the University to send messages out to all students and staff that have the app. This service is ideal for emergency situations, such as if an active shooter is on campus. Students, staff and faculty will be immediately notified via their phone with continuous updates on the status and what they should do.
In addition, student’s parents may also be able to sign up for CheckMate Campus, so not only will they be able to receive all the benefits of the app, but they will also be able to receive the Mass Notifications that will keep them updated firsthand as to what is occurring at their child’s campus.
Security at Your Fingertips
Besides being able to connect to our Emergency Monitoring Centre, CheckMate Campus has a contact button that gives you direct access to your Campus Police, which ensures that no matter where you are on campus, you are a finger push away from help.
For more information
For more information and a detailed consultation about CheckMate Campus, contact us toll free at 1-866-775-6620.